anyone ever flown a Schweizer 2-22 in real life?

General discussions about soaring, both simulated and real.

anyone ever flown a Schweizer 2-22 in real life?

Postby aratsgamb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:28 am

I have the chance to get a Schweizer 2-22E for about $5k USD. I know it is not a hight performace plane, but it is a piece of history. It would be kind of fun just to tinker around with in our local area. I was wondering if anyone has flown one, and what their thoughts are on the handling and such.

Andrew
aratsgamb

Postby DougB » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:11 am

The price is certainly right. Just be sure you have a good place to tie it down, or better yet, a hangar to keep it in. You DON'T want to re-assemble it every time you fly. Once a year is enough.

Who cares how it flies - when there is lift it will stay up, and when there isn't it won't. Nobody ever set any cross-country records in a 2-22.
DougB

Re: anyone ever flown a Schweizer 2-22 in real life?

Postby cdrought » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm

I soloed a kit built 2-22 on my 14th birthday in 1958. We were flying auto tow at MInter Field in Bakersfield CA. It was strictly a glider with no soaring capability but it did have a rapid roll rate with such short Hershy Bar wings. Needless I was thrilled to have soloed and i've been soaring continuously since. I'm sure you'd have a ball with a 2-22 now if just exoplaininf to people what it is'
Geoff Drought
cdrought

Re: anyone ever flown a Schweizer 2-22 in real life?

Postby wgelonek » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Came across your question about the 2-22 and was pleasantly reminded of a flight decades ago (1968) of 60 miles that I made and thoroughly enjoyed. You can soar in the 2-22, but as you might imagine conditions have to be good. The 2-22 was our club trainer and quite commonly was flown for hours at a time. I think it is a fine way to get started.
wgelonek

Return to Soaring